Friday, January 14, 2011

What new thing did you do today?


   Life is real! Life is earnest!
   And the grave is not its goal;
"Dust thou art, to dust returnest,"
   Was not spoken of the soul.

Not enjoyment, and not sorrow,
   Is our destined end or way;
But to act, that each to-morrow
   Finds us farther than to-day.
Excerpt of A psalm of Life- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

I have learned that life does not stand still in anyway.  Sounds obvious, but you are either growing or losing.  Thank goodness the choice is ours. I have found that lasting growth comes from new experiences. They open up our lives changing us. (A smart man once told me that.)   


On my way running to my 36th year, I made of list of new and exciting things try and grow.

It is interesting the things we chose to do first...for me it is...(drum roll please) 

#9 Eat kale.  

photo credits 
(The 'credits' link also has the history of Kale and the vitamin label.)

Some might not feel the enthusiasm that I do for this leafy green. The family sure didn't.  I don't know why...it looks beautiful to me.  After perusing around a bit I have found the most healthy and the writer says "addictive"  recipe.  The blog even showed small children eating this delish veggie...what is not to love about that.

When buying kale it is not so easy to locate, tucked between the mustard greens and ginger root.  Odd I know.

The recipe said the kale had to be dry...at the store it was soaking wet. I am pretty sure they have had a hose on it all stinking day.  I went ahead and washed it again then obsessively dried it again and again.  The idea of having soggy kale made me upset.  Stupid OCD.

First batch was an utter disaster.  Was in there a few minutes past done and turned into a brown bitter nasty.  I  have to admit the idea of doing the next batch after the first disaster was tough.  Sucked it up and thought about my whole two bucks I invested in this list and decided to have another go.

Second batch success!  It is light crunchy and melts in your mouth leaving a clean green flavor, kind of like plain broccoli.  Way better then the first batch.  But not good enough to make again.

Can cross it off the list, and honestly say won't buy that again.  

No comments:

Post a Comment