Sunday, November 6, 2011

Grandma saw it before it was cool...

Photo Source
In a longing for holding on to the Harry Potter phenomena owls have been showing up everywhere.

My Grandmother collected owls.  In the back bedroom at her house, the room with the burnt orange shag carpet, had an entire wall bookshelf.  Perched on the top shelf in between pictures of grand kids and crafty crap we produced for her in great volume, she kept her owls.  They were not as common back then but she had a ton of them.

As the little guys make a trendy appearance I am struck by the thought of her. It made me think...

I have been thinking for the last year about getting a tattoo.  With the wide variety of pictures of the little guys coming out, and with a little bit of peer pressure I decided to do it.

Not sure why the pores in my leg looks so huge...please over look and focus on the art. 
 

Every part of it has some kind of symbolism for me.

The owl of course represents Grandma.  The text below is the song that helped me heal after her death. I chose blue because Grandma always made us put our feet in the water.  We traveled with her a ton growing up.  Where ever we went if there was a lake, river, ocean or big fountain our feet ended up in the water.  When I went to Africa and we were driving by the Cape of Good Hope I made the driver stop so I could hustle out to the powder soft sand and dip my toes in the cold water.  I did it for her.  I did it for both of us. Having the tattoo makes me remember that all things, people, feelings and situations pass.  The only thing we are left with are our memories.

What is something that you have always wanted to do?     


1 comment:

  1. I found your blog through your comment on The Pioneer Woman's website. I love the name of your blog, and I think your tattoo is true to your motto. So happy you have such wonderful memories of your Grandma.

    ReplyDelete