Monday, January 16, 2012

Martin Luther's day

Photo Source
I don't have any great traditions to mark this great man's day. I wish I did. Maybe a special menu, toast, or place to gather with family that would give this day the value it deserves.

My sister used to love Dr. King because his day meant we got her birthday as a school free day.  It made the family feel extra connected to him. (That reminds me I need to get her a card.)

I wonder sometimes as a history teacher, maybe as a writer...what if he still was alive?  How would his cause have changed?  What would he say about the state of racial equality today? What great speeches or books would he have produced?

I wonder what his dream would be today?


2 comments:

  1. Oh my I totally forgot about this holiday, living over the pond! Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought about that in the past. I do wonder what he would think about our country today.

    ReplyDelete