Saturday, February 25, 2012

Surprises, and birthday cheer

Yesterday I got another year older.  I was surprised...it was a good day. I am more used to these days being traumatic in some way and being happy when they are over...like you would if a tornado just missed your house.

In the morning my kind friend and one of my students dropped in to tell me "Happy Birthday," and they both did a jumping synchronized spinning dance move across the classroom floor.  Who doesn't love that. The student and teacher both claim it was completely spontaneous.  Must have been fated because they made a beautiful duo.

Then each of my classes sang happy birthday to me.  I was surprised by how much the pace and tone can change the meaning of the song.  Some chose slow and deep...making for the saddest of wishes.  Some were quick and fast...gave it more of a peppy feel.  During first period a student brought in a gallon of Arnold Palmer Ice tea (light) with a bow and a card.  It was my first gift of the day and the best thing I could of imagined.  Inside the card was a gift card for Amazon. We all know I have my obsessions with Amazon.

During passing period to the second class Jaimee, a dear friend, a sister really comes trotting down the hall with a beautiful bouquet of deep red roses and a gift under her arm.  I didn't recognize her at first.  It was one of those moments where something is familiar but you don't know why for a second then you world slides back into place.  She was so sweet to come in for the sole purpose of bringing me happy birthday wishes and delivering my gifts.  The special surprise was hand crocheted booties.  Love them.

 At lunch we have a birthday tradition of pitching in and ordering out for lunch on their special day.  I decided on Chili's.  When I walked in through the tables had been pushed together with a checkered table cloth and a beautifully layered fruit and cool whip/pudding delight sitting at the center of it all.  It was like a Thanksgiving meal, we even had some of the awkward chatter to share.  I love and rejoice in awkward chatter.

The day ended with a sugar headache, a hangover really...but it was so worth it. I would do it all again if given the choice. I have the best friends.  Maybe that means this year will be amazing. I hope so.  

4 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Valerie (a day late but no less sincerely meant).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a great birthday you had, lucky girl! Another year older, another year wiser and another year richer in friends!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A belated happy birthday. Good luck with A-Z. I look forward to your posts.

    ReplyDelete