Monday, May 30, 2011

Decoration Day

Photo Source
It is May 30th, not just a day off of work to sleep late and eat barbecue with the family, it is a day of remembering.  After the Civil War both sides were devastated by loss.  The women on both sides were struck by the devastation.  Every year on the 30th of May, they would decorate the graves of the fallen soldiers. It was not until after WWII that the day became a national holiday of remembrance.

I don't talk about it much but I come from a military family.  My cousin was in the Navy.  My dad was in the Air Force.  My grandfather was in the Army.  I know the sacrifices that families make.  I too remember.    

3 comments:

  1. Lovely post, and a great reminder for us all. Thanks to your family members for their service!

    *Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love anything to do with the military. humbles me always. stories, pictures they always make me cry. i have so much respect for them

    hope you had a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very lovely post V! My dad was in the service for a very long time and he is my hero, along with the millions that served as well. I admire these brave people!

    ReplyDelete