Friday, June 11, 2010

GOAL...Time to get started

“What you get by achieving your goals is to as important as what you become by achieving your goals.”
(Zig Ziglar)

Sun beaming down cool breeze blowing- it is summer time in Texas. There is so much potential as I step from the steps of the school.  Every day I wake and the day is mine to decide what I feel like getting accomplished.  Free from the normal schedule I must set my goals and make the right decisions.  It seems so simple- I guess it really is. 

The struggle of reaching for goals are daily battles of the mind.  The body at rest wants to stay that way.  There is a war waging in my head as I step off that curb.  Would be so nice to go home take a long nap and wake up in the morning.  Would love to read and not move from that spot for as long as my body can take it.  Would love to stop at the store and buy the largest ice cream and pack of cookies the store has and call it dinner.  I know these feel amazing because I have done them all.  I loved it in the moment- then the bloating, stiff muscles, weight gain sit at the other end of these indulgences.  I hope in the truck and instead go to the gym.  This summer will be magical, I declare to myself.  I will come out the other side transformed from my journey.

First step:  Set goals.
I love list.  I love checking stuff off list the most.  I have been know to do something just to find it was not on the list so I add it just so I can cross it off.  Goals flow naturally. 
  1. I will lose 40 pounds by the end of August. 
  2. I will finish the rough draft of the novel I have been slaving over.  I will revise it and send it off for publishing.  
  3. I will purge my cluttered house of all things I don't need.  (This one is the most over whelming.) 
Second step: Break it down.
There has to be a starting place and smaller steps to get this all accomplished.  This is where the rubber meets the road.  This is the daily action that I am pledging to you to accomplish every day. 
  1. Exercise 5 days a week.  Eat a high fiber low fat diet.  Track calories. I have been working on this goal for many years.  I find creating accountability makes everything way more easy. Set your virtues as a social network status.  I am pretty sure that it is a whip to all my friends who read them but they will celebrate with you and encourage you when you slip.  www.sparkpeople.com is a free calorie counting site that is amazing!  
  2. I must and will write every day.  The goal is five thousand words a week.  I write very slowly- a by product of dyslexia but worth the effort.  By achieving this I will have the book complete by the end of July.  Again it takes a village to build greatness. I consider myself a writer and I share those dips and successes with everyone.  It has the most amazing by product.  People start asking about this book you are working on and how much further.  It shames you back to it, if you have let it sit for too long. 
  3. Must break it down.  First the living room.  The mail that has sat, files that need to be gone through and dusting that has been ignored for too long are top of the list.  Then the bedrooms- purge the closets, and dig through those drawers.  Donate what you can and throw out the rest.  Then garage and back storage the most scary due to the increased likelihood of finding spiders.  

I pledge to you to tag every post from here on out with the daily progress of my goals.  I will share the falls the celebrations. I am ready change.  I want to share this journey with you. Comment with your own goals. Your wins and falls.   






  1. Worked out hour and a half.  Walked the dog one mile. Eating in the acceptable range.
  2. Wrote 250 words.
  3. Cleaned the kitchen...okay I did nothing for this goal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment