Friday, June 25, 2010

What Legacy are you Leaving?

"The greatest use of life is to spend it for something that will outlast it. "
~William James

Being human we are guaranteed few things but birth and death.  When we each step away from this world and existence what will be left?  (I know deep for a Friday...but stay with me.) 

This has been one of those questions that I have been asking myself since childhood when I first read about global warming and what we are doing to the planet. As I listened to Micheal Jackson sing 'Man in the mirror,' I questioned what I would change.  (I was in middle school, but still was anxious to make that change.)  The question again haunted me when my Grandmother died leaving the most beautiful handwritten letter to her family.  In her letter she stated that we- her family were her legacy.  Childless still, I wonder what will be mine.

Today, on the one year anniversary of Micheal Jackson's death I was perusing my blogs, as is routine, and this question grabbed hold of me. Alexa Ispas's posting, Creating Legacy addresses how to set up a plan to achieve your legacy.  She states that your legacy is a chosen decision that you work toward daily. That all your goals must be in reconciliation of this single overarching life choice.  No pressure!

I have a difficult time choosing the correct foods to fuel my body in a healthy way, being active the correct amount of time on a daily basis, adding information that is exciting and interesting to my blog and adding to my book daily.  My initial reaction is sadness.  The idea to achieve my legacy I have to add to the already pretty overwhelming list of daily 'to do' makes me feel like crying.    Slowly the idea began to simmer- I am sometimes a slow processor.  Maybe these could be blended.  Maybe my legacy is not 'something else.' Maybe instead it is the difference I make in the life of my students, friends, family and readers.  Maybe just maybe even a childless, struggling teacher/writer can leave behind a legacy.  It is the quote "Never throughout history has a man who lived a life of ease left a name worth remembering. "  Stated by Pres. Theodore Roosevelt that brings the greatest comfort.  This has not been a life of ease.  Struggle shared brings hope to those that are in the middle of their own fight.  This writing is my legacy.  What is yours?









  

1 comment:

  1. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger....You actually have 1 legacy & several avenues to get there-AND I'm confident you will.

    ReplyDelete