Monday, March 7, 2011

Happy International Women's Day

Photo Source
The title is a mouthful, but this is a real day of celebration.  This great day has been around since 1908 when 15,000 women marched on New York. All the women were asking for was shorter work days, better pay and voting rights.  Things I know that women around me take for granted. The Amendment giving women the right to vote was officially signed into being August 18th 1920. 19th Amendment officially passed 91 years ago  but do we count ourselves as being equal, almost 100 years later?  
Photo Source
I am going to say no, but we are getting there.  How will I know when the day of equality as arrived?  When I can come home and not be asked what we are having for dinner.  Or when, the dishes don't sit in the sink until I take care of them.  Or even better, when the 'boys club' at work (the driving school) invite one of the two females out to lunch with them.

There are some powerful women that have been posting today.  
Take a minute today and read an article that makes you feel powerful.  Pour a deep glass of wine and toast those that have come before and those that have yet to arrive.  


2 comments:

  1. Hey, thanks for stopping by today... I'm wiped but tomorrow I'll be back to check your links. LOVE reading about (and hanging out with) strong international women!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting links! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete