Saturday, March 19, 2011

Super Saturday

Photo Source
Tonight we are suppose to have a super full moon in north Texas.  I am excited.  I do love to see nature in its grandeur.  Reminds me when I was attending the University of North Texas. My sister was taking astronomy and she found out that the area where she had her labs had public days. There were 8 high power telescopes aimed about the universe in the middle of an empty field.  We drove out there pretty excited, sure that we would spot the a comet that would end up being named after us.   Got there, lined up and I first looked in that telescope I was surprised at how bright the moon was.  It took a minute for my eyes to adjust.

Felt like I could feel the powdery sand on the surface the picture was so clear.  I am not sure how long I was looking.  The graduate student that was assigned my telescope was very busy chatting it up with the handsome man that had come to visit.  I could hear their chatter but was not paying it much attention.  Well, until it abruptly stopped and was followed by, "Shit, you need to stop!  You are going to burn your retinas."  I stood up with a quickness only to find that it was too late.  For 3 hours the only thing I could see in my right eye was a giant whit ball.   Great!

So the lesson for tonight, only look at it in small burst.

Photo Source

After a week of cool spring days we are in the middle of a heat wave.  We hit 87 degrees in the house yesterday.  It was super hot.  I am desperately trying to save electricity and milk along my limping air-conditioner.
Tips for keeping cool:

  1. Watch Christmas movies- the snow looks wonderfully cold. 
  2. Drink a lot.
  3. Turn on fans- if air is blowing on you it helps a little. 
  4. Take a cold shower- it is awesome, albeit a bit jarring at first but then heavenly. 
  5. Eat cold food- Ice cream is your friend, don't be shy.  Plus you get the added benefit of being able to open up the freezer door.  
  6. Run errands- any excuse to get out of the house take it!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I don't want summer to come - every year that goes by I tolerate the heat less and less. Today was a balmy high of 50˚ in Ohio. Heard about the moon tonight - will try to see what it looks like. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm hoping to be able to catch the moon tonight. My husband is absurdly jealous of the 87 degree weather that Texas is having, and his Texan side is being grumpy at our 70 degree windy weather!

    Hope you stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our weather is far from the heatwave you are having. I'm in Oregon and we just had a rain "shower" that would scare Noah out of town. This is my first visit to your blog and I've spent time browsing through your earlier entries. I'm so glad I did that. I really enjoyed my visit and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great weekend. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete